SiTime unveiled a new family of Super-TCXOs (temperature compensated oscillators) and oscillators for telecommunications and networking equipment.
The new Elite Platform encompassing leverages the company's MEMS and analog technologies to deliver better performance, higher reliability and higher quality of service than conventional quartz solutions, even in the presence of environmental stressors.
In particular, SiTime's ELITE-Platform addresses environmental issues with potential to impact the performance of timing of network equipment in uncontrolled environments such as basements, curbsides, rooftops, and on poles. The company said precision timing components in these systems must now operate in the presence of high temperature, thermal shock, vibration and unpredictable airflow.
SiTime's Elite timing solutions are based on its unique DualMEMS architecture with TurboCompensation.
This architecture delivers exceptional dynamic performance with three key elements:
- Robust, reliable, and proven TempFlat MEMS that eliminates activity dips and enables 30 times better vibration immunity than quartz
- DualMEMS temperature sensing with 100% accurate thermal coupling that enables 40 times faster temperature tracking, which ensures the best performance under airflow and rapid temperature changes
- Highly integrated mixed-signal circuits with on-chip regulators, a TDC (temperature to digital converter) and a low-noise PLL that deliver 5 times better immunity to power-supply noise, 30 uK temperature resolution that is 10 times better than quartz, and support for any frequency between 1 and 700 MHz
“New telecom infrastructure uses 4G/5G small cells and Synchronous Ethernet to increase network data capacity; the high-power components that are used in such systems will have high and constantly changing heat loads,” said Joe Madden, founder and principal analyst at Mobile Experts. “The dynamic performance of precision timing components during rapid temperature change will become a critical requirement in such equipment. MEMS technology inherently performs better in the presence of dynamic environmental conditions, and has become a very interesting alternative to quartz technology.”
The Elite Platform comprises four new product families with a wide range of frequencies and the following unique features. All Elite solutions offer 0.1 ppb/g vibration immunity and do not have activity dips or micro-jumps.
Stratum 3 precision Super-TCXOs for communications and cloud infrastructure equipment
- ±100 ppb frequency stability over -40°C to +105°C, the widest operating temperature available with any TCXO
- 1 to 5 ppb/°C frequency slope (ΔF/ΔT) at an extremely fast temperature ramp rate of 10°C/minute, a performance level that is unique among timing devices
- 3e-11 Allan deviation (ADEV) at 10 second averaging time, 10 times better than typical quartz TCXOs
- 0.2 ps/mV power supply noise rejection (PSNR), eliminates dedicated system LDO
- Optional I2C/SPI frequency tuning, eliminates external DAC
- ±0.5 ppm frequency stability over -40°C to +105°C
- 0.23 ps integrated RMS phase jitter (12 kHz to 20 MHz)
- 0.1 ps integrated RMS phase jitter under Ethernet mask for 10G/40G/100G
- ±10 ppm frequency stability over -40°C to +95°C, enabling better system reliability
- Up to +95°C with excellent phase noise
- Wide pull range from ±25 ppm to ±3600 ppm
- 0.1% frequency tuning linearity under all conditions, 50 times better than quartz
SiTime is a wholly owned subsidiary of MegaChips Corporation (Tokyo Stock Exchange: 6875).
See video: https://youtu.be/awhiNV1FQgQ