Reliance Jio Infocomm (“Jio”) is making waves and setting off a price war with the launch of mobile digital services for India.
The Jio Welcome Offer includes unlimited LTE data and national voice, video and messaging services along with the full bouquet of Jio applications and content, free of cost up to 31 December 2016.
Jio has filed its tariff plans with the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (“TRAI”).
Shri Mukesh D. Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries Limited, said his company is "dedicated to realising the Prime Minister’s inspiring vision of “Digital India” for 1.2 billion Indians.
Ambani outlined five fundamental pillars of the Jio ecosystem: (i) The best quality broadband network with the highest capacity; (ii) A world of affordable, cutting-edge devices; (iii) Compelling applications and content; (iv) Superior digital service experiences; and
(v) Affordable and simple tariffs.
Some highlights of the announcement:
- Domestic voice calls to any network across the country would be free for Jio subscribers even beyond the Jio Welcome Offer.
- Domestic roaming services would also not be charged separately.
- Average data prices would be around Rs. 50/ GB, which would be amongst the lowest in the world.
- Leveraging its all-IP network, Jio will also offer end-to-end solutions that address the entire value chain across various digital services in key domains such as education, healthcare, security, communication, financial services, government-citizen interfaces and entertainment.
- Jio is also launching a Digital India Start-up Fund, promising to invest Rs. 5,000 crores in start-ups over the next 5 years.