PMC-Sierra has commenced sampling of its new DIGI-G4 chip -- the industry's highest density 4x100G OTN processor and featuring 50 percent less power per port than the previous generation.
The DIGI-G4 OTN processor, which builds on the success of PMC’s DIGI-120G, enabling the transition to 400G line cards in packet optical transport platforms (P-OTP), ROADM/WDM and optimized data center interconnect platforms for OTN switched metro networks. It increases 10G, 40G and 100G line card port density by 4X with flexible client mapping of Ethernet, storage, IP/MPLS and SONET/SDH, while reducing power by 50 percent per port. DIGI-G4 builds on the IP from DIGI-120G, enabling customers to maintain their rich feature set and software investment, which reduces time to market by up to six months and lowers development costs.
Significantly, DIGI-G4 delivers multi-rate, sub-180ns latency OTN encryption, allowing cloud and communications service providers to ensure security without compromising performance. DIGI-G4 supports sub-wavelength OTN encryption and is compatible with OTN switched networks. PMC said these these capabilities, combined with the densest 10G/40G/100G Ethernet ports, enables a new class of low-power, high-capacity transport platforms optimized specifically for the hyperscale data center WAN interconnect market (see whitepaper).
“Without DIGI-G4 the industry would be challenged to transition to 400G OTN switched metro networks,” said Babak Samimi, vice president of marketing and applications for PMC’s Communications Business Unit. “The world’s leading OEMs are designing around DIGI-G4 because our solution allows them to scale their product portfolios to the highest capacities at half the power per port, while leveraging their existing DIGI software investment. Coupled with new capabilities like OTN encryption, we’re solidifying PMC’s position as the industry leader in OTN processors.”
- Industry’s first single-chip 4x100G solution for OTN switched line cards
- Integrated 100G Gearbox for direct connect to CFP2, CFP4 and QSFP28 transceivers
- Industry’s highest density 10G, 40G and 100G multi-service support, including Ethernet, storage, IP/MPLS and SONET/SDH
- Industry’s first sub-wavelength OTN encryption solution to secure the cloud
- Industry’s first 25G granularity flexible framer to DSP interface providing scalable line-rates to match the programmable modulation capabilities found in next-generation Coherent DSPs
- Multi-chip Interlaken interconnect solutions for scalable compact chassis data center interconnect applications
- High performance OTN-SDK with adapter layer software accelerates customer time to market
The PM5990 DIGI-G4 is sampling now.