Broadcom expects rapid adoption of its latest 40/50/100 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) PHY in pluggable QSFP+ optical and DAC modules. The company cites multiple OEM and ODM vendors that have adopted the devices for immediate implementation. Sampling is underway.
The Broadcom PAM4 devices enable transmission rates of 40/50 gigabits per second (Gbps) over the existing infrastructure and are optimized for use in 40G quad small form-factor pluggable (QSFP) optics and direct attach copper (DAC) applications.
"The rapid adoption and support of our PAM4 technology by our leading customers and partners reinforces Broadcom's leadership in wired physical layer devices," said Lorenzo Longo, Broadcom, Vice President and General Manager, Physical Layer Products. "Our devices are designed to support higher data throughput over existing low bandwidth channels by transmitting more bits per symbol, significantly reducing cost by eliminating the need for expensive interconnect media."
- Single 40/50GbE PHY drives 40/56G serial over various media
- Supports a variety of DAC reaches from multiple suppliers
- Enables SMF/MMF optics and silicon photonics
- Low-power 28 nm CMOS design
- Small 7x7mm package fits within QSFP+ form factor, cable assembly and optics modules