Broadcom introduced an 802.11ac system-on-chip (SoC) featuring indoor positioning technology.
The BCM43462 SoC uses Broadcom's new AccuLocate technology to provide sub-meter accuracy on physical locations enabling retailers and public venue operators to deliver more personalized experiences to consumers. It leverages fine timing measurement (FTM) technology, which Broadcom says yields highly accurate positioning regardless of environmental factors. Previous versions of indoor positioning relied on received signal strength indicator (RSSI) technology, where signal strength and performance can vary depending on environmental factors such as crowd density or temperature.
Key Features of the Broadcom BCM43462 SoC
- Dual-band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) complete 5G WiFi (11ac) SoC with integrated MAC, PHY and radio
- Three-stream spatial multiplexing up to 1.3 Gbps
- State-of-the-art security provided by industry standardized system support
- Embedded hardware acceleration enables increased system performance
- Full IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n legacy compatibility with enhanced performance
- Support for FASTPATH UAP, Broadcom's enterprise class access point software