Equinix introduced its "Performance Hub" concept — a new solution that combines elements of data centers, networking infrastructure and connectivity, and cloud computing access. The gial is to improve application performance and deliver a globally consistent quality of experience to end users.
Performance Hub deployments include:
- Equinix IBX data center hosting - Cabinets, power, and cross connects
- Network connectivity - Metro-Ethernet, long-haul (MPLS-VPN), ISP
- Network equipment - Routing, switching, firewalls, SSL-VPN, load-balancers, WAN-acceleration
- Cloud connectivity - Private, high-bandwidth connectivity to leading public clouds such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Windows Azure and many others
Equinix said its Performance Hub delivers significant improvement in performance across metro (coast-to-coast) scenarios including:
50 percent improvement in http-load tests for web-based applications
- Greater than 40 percent improvement on file transfers for Microsoft Sharepoint®
- 40 percent improvement on Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) launch times
- Reduced jitter and latency for video streaming applications
- For applications hosted on public cloud infrastructure, 30 percent improvement in page-load tests for web-based applications, if consumed via Equinix Performance Hub with direct connectivity to public cloud infrastructure vs. Internet connectivity; and 100x improvement in data transfers for data-replication applications such as Oracle Data Guard
The Equinix Performance Hub is being launched in Equinix's North American data centers and will be available globally later this year.