Broadcom introduced a Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Controller that integrates a management controller with a high-performance network controller. The device features remote discovery, monitoring, control and management capabilities and is aimed at hyper-scale server environments.
"Broadcom is delivering cost-effective, open and standards-based system management technologies to support emerging trends such as cloud computing," said Greg Scherer, Broadcom's vice president of server and storage strategy. "We are enabling a new class of networking products, such as Open Compute Project AMD Open 3.0 Modular Server, through our advanced Ethernet controllers with enhanced manageability and features."
BCM5725 key features:
- Integrated 10/100/1000BASE-T and transceiver
- IEEE compliant with IEEE 802.3az-2010
- Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE)
- x1 PCI Express+ v2.1 at 5.0 GT/s or 2.5 GT/s
- SMASH 2.0/WS-Management and IPMI 2.0/DCMI 1.5 standards based system management
- TruManage technology with system management features, including asset tracking of hardware/software inventory, sensors-based monitoring, power control (graceful and ungraceful), boot control, BIOS management, power consumption reporting, etc.