Tekelec and Allot Communications have completed Interoperability Testing (IOT) on a 3GPP Sd Diameter Interface between their systems. The companies are the first to announce IOT over the new Sd Diameter Interface, which communicates between the Tekelec Policy Server (PCRF) and Allot’s Service Gateway Sigma E Traffic Detection Function (TDF) in order to enable detection and enforcement control over applications.
The companies said the value of the Sd interface is that it enables operators to:
- Create application-based service tiers and one-time offers through better application identification and control.
- Extend policy intelligence and control to new traffic management functions.
- Enable single unified traffic management for converged networks.
- Simplify network architecture and operations by eliminating the need for a RADIUS interface between the TDF/DPI and the Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN). The Sd Diameter Interface allows operators to transfer some tasks the GGSN manages to the Policy Server, thereby removing the need for a separate connection between the TDF/DPI and GGSN.
- Enhance Quality of Service (QoS) for applications such as video streaming and voice over LTE, both expected to be the largest generators of diameter messages by 2016 according to Tekelec’s LTE Diameter Signaling Index forecast.