NTT DOCOMO unveiled its 2013 spring device lineup, including 11 smartphones and tablets, plus one mobile Wi-Fi router.
Some of the new and prominent features:
- First DOCOMO smartphones capable of full-HD for superb high-definition video.
- Compatible with DOCOMO’s Xi LTE service for max. downlink of 112.5 Mbps (some areas), the fastest LTE connection in Japan as of January 21.
- A large selection of models featuring quad-core CPUs for increased enjoyment of mobile games and videos.
- Many models running on Android 4.1.
- Large-capacity batteries (2,000mAh or more) for power-thirsty users.
- Smartphone model with special safety and security features for preteens.
DOCOMO is also pushing ahead with a "Smart Home" initiative for sharing videos, music and other content between smartphones and home electronics. As part of this initiative, DOCOMO is offering a Wi-Fi-dedicated tablet with access to its dmarket portal and a "SmartTV dstick," which is a small flash drive-like HDMI device for transferring movies and animation from dmarket to large-screen televisions.
In addition, new functions have been added to the "Twonky Beam" app, which enables DOCOMO smartphones to play full-HD digital-terrestrial and broadcast-satellite programs that are stored on the user’s Blu-ray recording devices at home.