Thursday, September 25, 2008

SingTel and Chunghwa to Launch ST-2 satellite in 2010

Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel) and Taiwan's Chunghwa Telecom have formed a joint venture to build and launch an ST-2 satellite. This satellite is targeted to be delivered in 2010 and will replace the ST-1 satellite, which will be retired in 2011.SingTel will have approximately 62% share in the joint venture. Chunghwa Telecom will own the remaining 38%.


Mr Bill Chang, SingTel's Executive Vice President for Business, said: "The ST-2 satellite will offer significantly greater capacity than ST-1 and wider coverage to also include emerging markets such as the Middle East. We are well placed to meet the strong demand for fixed and mobile satellite services, including our innovative IP-based solutions, which are transforming the way our customers do business. Even before its launch, about two-thirds of ST-2's capacity has been pre-booked."http://www.singtel.com

  • The original ST-1 satellite was launched in 1998 as a joint venture between SingTel and ChungHwa. Its payload includes sixteen high-power Ku-band transponders and fourteen medium-power C-band transponders, as well as two Ku-band spot beams. Services includes telephony, digital DTH broadcasting, and VSAT.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

See also